Thursday, February 5, 2015

Samon, Sweet Potato and Broccoli Chowder

I discovered this recipe when my oldest was just a baby.
It was when I first got on my "eating better, cooking better" kick and I think one of the first recipes that I made that wasn't from a box.
I wasn't sure if we would like it due to the ingredients - but oh ya'll, let me tell you.
This thang is good!
Matter of fact, I have a cousin who doesn't even LIKE seafood - and she loved it.

Salmon, Broccoli and Sweet Potato Chowder


Cast of characters:
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. thyme
- salt ad pepper to taste
- 1 pound skinless salmon fillet, cut into small pieces, cooked
- bag of frozen broccoli (or you can use fresh)

My sweet little helper. She loves cooking with mama!

First you cook the chopped onion in the butter until soft. This usually takes about 5 minutes.
Add the flour and stir until smooth.
(NOTE:: this is SO important! Last time I did not make sure I mixed the flour well enough and it was awful! I have the hardest time with making a rue.)
Add in the broth and milk, whisking steadily to smoothly incorporate.
Add the sweet potato and seasonings.
Bring to a boil, stirring often and simmer about 8 minutes.
Add salmon and broccoli and heat through.
Top with parmesan cheese and parsley, if desired.




I'm still new to this and messed up and didn't get a final picture with the toppingsa and broccoli.
But hopefully you get the idea!
I served this with rosemary and herb rolls and it was so good!
....even if it was burned just a little.
I'm not perfect. :)

Hope ya'll have a great Thursday!
_




No comments: