Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Fathers Day 2016

HAPPY FAHERS DAY!

I'm two days late, but better late than never!
We had a really good Fathers Day this year. I was a little worried about how it would go because Mike just finished his last round of chemo.
#praisebreak
 
I told the girls - listen. No matter how we spend this day, we're going to have fun! Whether we stay home, eat watermelon (the only thing he's been able to keep down most days), and play cards, or go to the big shindig with the family, it doesn't matter. Daddy is here and alive and we're going to celebrate. Thankfully, he felt pretty good so we headed to church and then to my sisters house to spend the day with my dad, sisters and their families.
 
But ya'll, we're from Alabama. And Mike loves everything nature, everything outside, everything hunting, fishing, wildlife. So we cannot get through a backroad trip without stopping to look at something - and I love it. We have gotten ourselves into so many an adventures this way. Found so may hidden gems and just appreciated the handiwork of God,
 

 
 So I wasn't surprised when he took a right turn onto a tiny road . I looked down to pull my camera up (this is not my first rodeo and I wanted to be ready). Two seconds, four tops, is all it took.
 
So imagine my shock when we hooked a curve and I looked up to this:
 
 
It may not look very surprising to you. But we were on the edge of a very sharp drop off! After I started to breath again, I realized how beautiful it was. I've heard stories about the generation before me jumping off the train trestles into the river. Those were the good old days. :) 
 
 
Caught this little guy on the way in:

 
Then we got on to my sisters. We had so much fun! My dad, brother-in-law and nephew had been deep sea fishing and we fried/grilled those fish, fried some chicken, hot dogs, green bean bacon wraps, potato salad, slaw, cucumber/tomato/onion salad, deviled eggs and I don't remember what else. Food was good and company was GREAT! Got some good home videos and played a few rounds of Twister- always a good one in my family.
 

 
My two younger sisters. Kayla's 25 and Allie is 23.

 
Caught my beautiful niece taking selfies on my phone. Raven is 14 - where ha the time gone?
Niece takes selfies....Aunt Stephanie will post!

 
L-R:
Me (31), Daddy, Kayla (25), Allie (23), Elizabeth (35).

 
The Four Crazy Ladies Sisters.





 
 
Papaw and all his grandkids!
Sara (8), Will (12), Bradyn (18 months), Raven (14) and June (6)
Our family started as 4, and currently we're at 11 with one in a serious relationship. I hope to look back on this post in a few years and see how much we've grown!
 

 
We ended the day with a trip to Gander Mountain for Daddy & an ice cream run. This was literally the only picture of us 4! We were too busy having fun! My girls and I are so lucky to have this man in our life. I'm so proud of you for being the husband and father you are, for being more than required and for sticking by our side.

 
I hope all the single mothers out there had a great Fathers Day as well. My mama was a single mom for 17 years, so Happy Fathers Day to you too, mama!

No comments: