Friday, December 6, 2013

Show Us Your Life - Favorite Holiday recipes!

This week over at Kelly's Korner is the Show Us Your Life - Holiday Recipes edition! Go on over to link up & read all the awesome recipes. I know what I'm going to be doing after the girls go to bed tonight! :)

The very first thing that comes to my mind when I think of my favorite holiday recipes is...drum roll please....the classic green bean casserole. 


Fancy? Nope. Hearty? Yes. Delicious? YES MA'AM! We don't wait until Christmas to cook it around here - it's made all through the year in our home, but especially always at every given holiday. Pretty much any reason to cook it, I'll take it. :) It's super easy, too, which makes it even better! All you need to whip this baby up is:

- 2 can whole cut green beans
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tin french fried onions

Mix the first two ingredients with the seasonings together and place in a greased 16x9 baking dish.
Bake at 400F for about 20 minutes.
Remove and place french fried onions on top.
Bake at 400F for another 10 minutes or so until golden and crispy on top.



My next favorite thing (and my most favorite pie EVER, aside from lemon pie) is the buttermilk pie.
Oh dear heavens, this looks amazing!
My mama always makes them for Thanksgiving and I have memories of them being at nearly every Thanksgiving I've ever attended.

I found this image on Google and it linked to the blog The Byrd House - her recipe is exactly the same as the one my mama uses - at least, it looks like it's the same to me. 

- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 unbaked 9" pie crust
- Nutmeg to taste

Beat the eggs in a mixer. 
Mix the flour & sugar together - this is important as it prevents them from lumping together when you add the eggs. Add the eggs, and mix until creamy. 
Add melted butter and mix well.
Add buttermilk and vanilla extract.
Pour into pie shell amd bake at 325F for about an hour, depending on your oven.

Since I was little, I can remember hearing my mama holler out - "Hey ya'll! Don't slam that door! Don't run through the house! Stay out of the kitchen! My cake/pie will fall!" Sometimes it will not set in the middle, so just pop it back int he oven for a few more minutes. But it will stay pretty jiggly - it won't set up hard like an apple pie might. 

I hope ya'll enjoy these two super easy recipes. They are probably my top two favoritet hings to eat, ever, but especially at the holidays. 
I hope you & your family have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!


No comments: