Monday, September 7, 2009

Menu Plan Monday




Well, today we had a huge prayer answered. This past month has been really tight financially -- we've had almost two thousand dollars in car repairs, a few other large bills come due, and it has absolutely drained us. We've been working hard to pay off our credit card debt and unfortunately (absolutely our fault, and a hard lesson learned) our emergency fund was not where it should have been. Today, a dear family member, most likely unbeknownst to our situation, gave us SIX bags full of food...boxed things, canned goods, dried beans and rice, bottled juice...such a blessing! It will more than help us through the tight spot, and I was raised well enough to know that you pass on kindness. So, I will be bagging half of it up and sending it on to another family who could use it. I just had to share -- this really meant a lot to us and just proves God does answer prayer!!

Here's our meal plan for the next week. I don't list breakfast and lunches -- breakfast is typically oatmeal, grits, waffles (homemade), cereal (though not often), yogurt, or eggs and toast. Oh, and fruit. For lunches, I usually get a ham and slice it up and freeze individual bags for lunchmeat; or like this week, I made a big bowl of tuna salad and a big bowl of egg salad to use for sandwiches. We either have sandwiches, quesadillas, or leftovers.

Monday: ate leftovers at my mom's
Tuesday: grilled BBQ chicken, green bean wraps, and corn on the cob
Wednesday: BLT's with summer pasta salad
Thursday: sweet & hot drumsticks with veggie sticks
Friday: homemade waffles
Saturday: grilled mock steak with baked potato
Sunday: we'll have a big lunch at my mama's after church, so just sandwiches for dinner

I set my new bi-monthly grocery and household budget (including diapers, wipes, and any cleaning supplies -- which are not many, because I make my own laundry soap, dishwasher soap, and use vinegar and water for most cleaning) to $100, but I still spent $130 this time. Granted, just diapers, wipes, milk and juice for the two weeks is $30, but still. I don't waste anything and am generally very frugal with everything, but I still went over by $30. Anyone have any tips to share? I would really like to stay at $200 for the month.

Hope you all had a wonderful Labor Day!

No comments: