Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Grocery shopping with coupons

Before I got pregnant, I got really big into couponing. I got really good at it -- getting groceries for just a fraction of what they were advertised for. Then I realized I was buying a lot of CRAP food because it was cheap. So I had to stop.

I get that we're all on a budget -- especially those families where one parent doesn't work outside of the home -- but I cannot, in good faith, feed my family processed junk every day because it was cheap. So I fell off the coupon bandwagon. But recently (as in the past week, lol) I've picked it back up. I'm going to start using the coupons for things I actually COULD use. Our grocery/household/diaper budget has been $200/month until now...and I am about to try to slash it to $100/month. We'll see if I can do it. I have a feeling I might be closer to $150 or $175/month.

Here's what I got today:


I went to three different grocery stores (Publix, Wal-Mart and Winn-Dixie). I spent $49.20 and saved $22.93.

Erm....that is not good for me $100/month budget!!

In my defense, I did have to get several things today that I won't have to get the rest of the month. I had to get toilet paper, Robitussin, Aveeno soap, Ivory soap (for laundry) toothbrushes for Sara (hers got dropped in the toilet...ahem), washing soda (for laundry and dishwasher detergent), contact solution and a contact case because I ran out and mine broke. That total, before tax, was $15.57. So...if I hadn't had to get THAT, I would have done REALLY well!

I also found out a lot of things today. Like, milk is cheaper at Publix than at Wal-Mart OR Winn-Dixie -- by about $.50! And it's growth hormone free, which I like. I think my best deals for the day would have to be the Kraft cheese I got (Winn-Dixie had shredded bags for $3.69, BOGO free; I had a $2/2 coupon which made it $.84/each, and Publix had their chunk cheese 3 for $5, so I got two of those and used another $2/2 coupon which made it $.67/each!) the 5 lb. bag of Idaho potatoes I got for $1.50, and the Birds Eye vegetables I got for $.54 and $.65 each. I also was able to get over 7 pounds of chicken legs at $.99/pound, which will make about 6 meals worth of meat. And I was completely out of chicken legs, so that works for me!

Well, there you go. Now you know WAY more about my grocery shopping trip today than you ever wanted to! Before I forget -- the $2/2 Kraft coupons were on a dispenser in the cheese section, in case you want to stock up!

No comments: