Monday, November 5, 2012

a new chapter

I have a "little' cousin, Bo -- me & Bo have always been kinda close.
They lived right behind us growing up & we played ogether a lot.
I'm several years a wee bit older than he is, so he was always like a little brother.
Bo graduated high school this past May (with honors -- soooo proud!)
and it was definitely a very emotional day for me.
I'm pretty sure I cried as much as his parents/grandparents.
 
Back at the beginning of the summer, before graduation,
he started talking to us about joining the Air Force.
(For those of you who don't know -- my husband is active duty AF)
Eventually he said he wanted to join.
Wanted to serve his country, waanted to have a stable job,
and wanted to make something of himself --
something that's hard to do in our tiny one-horse town.
Needless to say, I was all over it. I said it was the best thing he could ever do.
And in reality I know it is.
 
 
A couple of weekends ago, we went to his going away party.
AKA -- "Hair Shaving Ceremony"
We teased him endlessly because he had gorgeous dark hair
that he styled all Justin Bieber-ish and treated like his child!
The picture above is Mike (and June & Bo's dad!) taking his turn at shaving "the child."
I got some hilarious video footage.
I'm pretty sure he would kill me if I posted it.
He better be glad I couldn't get iti to upload!
 
After the shave!
 
Last night and today were definitely bittersweet in our family.
Bo left for basic training.
Even just typing that makes me tear up.
I think I'm so emotional party because I KNOW the pain of being apart from your family.
We have a super close family and it is hard to realize he's grown.
I know he'll never live here again and I may never, either...
and I know it's the best decision for him...
but I still miss him loads.
 
Bo, I am so PROUD of you!
I couldn't get it out last night without snot bubbling on your shoulder,
but I'm very proud of you.
You're going to excel in your career & you'll be an officer in no time flat.
I refuse to say "goodbye" because in the AIr Force we say "see you later!"
Now not only are you a cousin and friend...beloved to my girls...
but you are a brother-in-arms to my husband.
A wingman.
That's an honor far above anythign else.
Love you kid & can't wait to see you in January at graduation!
 

 
Of we go, into the wild blue yonder...

1 comment:

HappyascanB said...

Bo rocks! Thankful for his bravery and sacrifice!! Many prayers for him and your family!