Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Take me back to Destin, please!

Michael & I on our way to Seaside

A few weeks ago, Michael surprised me with a (very) spontaneous trip to Destin, Florida. When I say very, I mean very -- as in, he asked me on a Friday night after counseling & we left on Saturday afternoon after Sara's birthday party. Now when you have children, especially young ones, this is about as spontaneous as it gets! I was thrilled because he NEVER does things like this anymore (and neither do I) and when we were dating it was all about spontenaity. So, we packed up & we were off.

To be honest, I can't recall the name of the resort we stayed at on Saturday night. I do, however, remember leaving to go out for supper & forgetting the top lock on the door was still latched....and I broke off the lock and the TRIM! The wooden trim just ripped in half and was hanging in my hand! Thankfully, the resort was very cool about it & said that way worse things happen all the time. It was kind of weird being in a condo hotel room again, seeing as how the last time I was in one, I was in labor with June! Anyway. The first night we had supper at The Back Porch, which I TOTALLY recommend. I think they just opened one up in PCB, too. It's great, even if you have a husband like mine who insisted it was just a 5 minute walk up the beach, and how romantic would it be walking at night on the beach?

Remind me to take what he says with a grain of salt from now on, mmmkay? Try FORTY-FIVE minutes...on a beach that smelled really, really bad. I was appalled at just how bad it smelled. But that hike was romantic, and it was worth it. Even if I was covering up my nose the whole time! Sorry I don't have any pictures of that night -- I forgot my camera when we left the room. :)



The second night we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. It was still very nice, and I'd absolutely stay there again. Both rooms had a beachfront view and that's really all that matters to me! Sunday during the day we did a little shopping, spent some time out enjoying the fresh air, and drove over to Seaside, where we enjoyed a wonderful lunch at Bud & Alley's. It was great atmosphere, right on the beach, and pretty dang good food!

At Bud & Alley's on the beach



I had the shrimp & grits...for the first time EVER -- and boy, now I know what everybody's been talking about! I will definitely be making those at home for the rest of my days.


Before we left out again, we went out onto the balcony to take some pictures. Because I'm a picture freak like that. And I'm really glad we did! There was a gorgeous view. See for yourself:









That evening, we went to Fuddpuckers for supper. That usually isn't the type of restaurant I'd choose, but I've always wanted to go & it looked really fun -- and we were definitely up for fun things! I had the crab cake sandwich, which is usually what I get. It was just okay. Not amazing, but not bad, either. I got the usual t-shirt, we watched alligators, etc. I did take this picture:



Monday morning, we packed up & headed home. It was a blissful 2 days! Special thanks to my mama, Tammy & Baylee, Kayla, and my sisters & BIL who all took turns watching the girls for us. We definitely appreciate it!

4 comments:

Lora said...

sounds like a perfect getaway! :)

- dls - said...

love those beach photos!

Former Fat Bride said...

Sounds fun! Glad you guys had a great getaway :)

HappyascanB said...

Ahhhh, Beautiful! Your hair is so pretty in that last pic of you!