Thursday, June 17, 2010

Trusting in the Lord


Today has been a good day. Sara has been good, and it's been raining -- which means it's been cooler. We got to spend a couple of hours in the playroom this morning and then she got to play some more with the volunteers this afternoon while Michael and I sat with June Claire in her new LEVEL TWO (!!!) unit. She was so sweet today. She was wide awake when we went in there and stayed awake for a good 20 minutes while we just sat and talked to her. I don't know if I've said this before, but she is THE gruntiest baby I have ever seen! I don't know how we'll ever sleep! Then it was time for the volunteers to leave, so he came back to the room with Sara and I stayed over and got some snuggling time in. She was SO good. I took my Bible with me and read after she fell asleep. I haven't been studying any one place lately, just kind of picking it up and flipping it open and reading wherever it falls. Today, it fell open at Proverbs so I started with the first chapter.

Oh boy. It was all about wisdom and knowledge. About how we need to LISTEN to those telling us what we need to do. Someone once told me, I need you to listen with your HEART, not just your ears. That's stuck with me ever since. You can listen all day long with your ears and, as my Grandma used to say, it'll just go in one ear and right on out the other. But if you LISTEN, if you stop all that you're doing and let the words sink into your soul, infiltrate your mind...then it becomes something deeper. And how we need to be careful about what we listen to -- my Bible has the words "shun evil counsel" wrote above one passage. It says, "if sinners entice you, do not consent. If they say come with us....we shall find all kinds of precious possessions, we shall fill our houses with spoil." Isn't that how sin is? It looks so pretty and glamorous to the naked eye. And then you start thinking...it won't hurt if I just do it this one time. Just this one thing. I won't let it get any farther. And the next thing you know, you're neck deep. Give the devil an inch, and he'll take a mile sort of thing. Our pastor always says, "Bad company corrupts good morals."



Whew...off that soap box for now! Anyway, I read on down to the third chapter, and this passage caught my eye:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths....it will be health to your flesh and strength to your bones."

Boy. My first thought was...I just HAD to read this today, of ALL days! All day long I have been having to put trust in different nurses for June Claire (since she moved to the Level 2 NICU) and it's been HARD. I felt like these nurses don't know us, they don't know JC's history, WE don't know THEM, and I just wasn't sure I liked the new arrangement too much. But those nurses choose to put their trust in God (at least a few of them do, I know -- because they talked to me about our faith after they saw me reading my Bible there), and He is sovereign over all. He will guide them. If I can just place my fear in Him, if I can turn it all over to Him and not worry, He will give me such peace. He will direct my path in a way that will be a testimony to His love and mercy. And we all know the less you worry the less stressed you are -- so there goes the health and strength thing!

No comments: