Friday, June 18, 2010

Show Us Your Life Friday

Kelly over at Kelly's Korner is hosting "Show Us Your Life Friday" and I thought I'd join in! I'm currently sitting in the playroom while Sara burns some energy and I thought I would make a blog post while I had a chance. :)

Today's "Show Us Your Life" is about how you got engaged. Well...funny you should ask! We didn't exactly have a traditional engagement. Here's our story:

Michael and I met and started dating in June of 2005, in England. Our first date was June 26. Things got serious and I started the process of applying for my Visa, I got a job lined up and I was thrilled that I was going to stay there with him. In October 2005, a family member passed away unexpectedly and the next thing I knew I was back in Alabama and could not get back to England because of the legal mess. I had a return flight scheduled for January so it was our hope that I would be able to return then. On November 13, Michael called me and said, "I can't wait until January. I'm going crazy. I love you so much and I need you here with me so bad...I don't want to wait until next year to get married. They granted me leave in December so pick a day, any day, in December that you want to get married on!"

Yep. That was my proposal. It didn't matter though, because I missed him terribly. We had to choose December 23 because of leave arrangements. He got to Alabama on December 22. I met him in Prattville (where they had stopped for the night -- he was traveling with his parents & grandparents) and we ate at Cracker Barrel for breakfast. His grandmother kept saying, "I want to see the ring, Michael!" and he was getting flustered because he was trying to make it a special thing when he gave it to me. Well. He eventually got so aggravated that we got in my truck to leave and he kind of tossed the ring box at me and said, "Here. Here you go." LOL.

No special, romantic proposal over here. It doesn't matter though, because here we are five years, two children, a dog, a house, and some heartaches later and we're still going strong. :)

I'd love to hear how your engagement story went!

No comments: